Tuesday 14 May 2019

Hello again!

Today has been an exciting, but exhausting day.

We began with an early start, being driven into Quimper for a workshop at the pottery museum. We talked about how different pieces of art can be in conversation with one another - something I've been thinking about more and more the longer I'm here. As I wrote the other day, the world is art. The world sparks art too, and we are constantly in conversation with ourselves and with the world, with ideas flowing through us and out of us as well as into us.

Anyway, there were so many stunning things at the museum, including an amazing ceramic violin. My favourite piece was a lithe, skinny rabbit mould that looked like the rabbits in marginalia - long and lean, and almost sinister, nothing like the cuddly, fluffy bunnies we're used to. It makes me wonder whether rabbits have changed their shape since medieval times - whether they once were these gangling, ranging creatures.

I used the rabbit as inspiration for a new chapter in my Big Secret Novel, which I won't share, but I used a stapled plate and a display of broken pottery as inspiration for this poem, which I will share.




10:23 on a Tuesday. I smoke, and
think of bright broken things, fractured
birdsong and shattered light across fluttery pages.
My bodice tight against the cage of my chest.
I draw with my fingernail a line across my wrist
along the blue road of my veins, across torn broken skin.
I am a broken thing, held fast with staples. 
We look quietly at broken things trapped behind glass. 

After the workshop, we had the opportunity to explore Quimper. We poked about in some little boutiques, and I managed to find some lovely things for people back at home. We also visited a wonderful creperie. I wanted to take pictures of my crepes like an Instagram fiend, but unfortunately greed outweighed exhibitionism and I ate them before I thought to reach for my phone. But needless to say, they were delightful.

After lunch, we decided to go to the cathedral. I've never been much of a fan of cathedrals if I'm absolutely and totally honest, finding the statues and gargoyles a little unnerving and watchful - but witnessing my dear friend losing their shit over the paintwork and the stained-glass windows gave me a new appreciation.

Then we went to the museum. That's much more my speed, and there were some wonderfully ancient things there, including the paw print of a dog from Gallo-Roman history. Just think - centuries ago, and pets were still walking across freshly laid concrete.


On the whole, today has been a brilliant day. But I am very, very tired, so I shall love you and leave you, faithful readers (of whom I am sure there are plenty, ha. ha. ha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment